Thursday, May 29, 2008

Smokin' Hot Chick Pictures!

OK, for those of you who have requested more pictures of my little beauties, I'm including several in this post. But you are going to have to put up with my narrative first. No scrolling down ahead of the class!

Last night Bernie set up his 12X12 pavilion-screened-in-tent-thingy for me so I could take my chicks outside to play in a protected area. It doesn't have a floor, so the chicks could enjoy the ground and the grass. We secured the sides with bricks so they couldn't slip underneath one of them and force us to flail around the yard trying to catch them.

So this afternoon after I logged off from work, I grabbed a box with a lid and captured 23 birds for transport to the great, wild outside. We won't discuss the whole capturing portion of this. Suffice it to say I had to stand on my head to get chicks out of the far corners of the brooder, and I only had to chase one escaped bird around the spare room, but I emerged from the house, headed to the tent thingy, sweaty and out of breath, with 23 birds in a box in tow. Bernie awaited us on a lawn chair in the tent thingy.

When we first let them out, they were terrified and huddled around me and refused to venture. Eventually, they started pecking my toes and crawling on me. Here's a picture of two of the girls that crawled into my hand:

Photobucket

After a short while, they discovered Bernie's boots and headed over to him:

Photobucket

One of the White Faced Black Spanish chicks just couldn't stand all of Bernie's cuteness from afar and actually spread her little wings and flew up onto his lap:

Photobucket

We decided to name this one Amelia - after Amelia Earhart.

The chicks really seemed to enjoy being outside. They ran around pecking at everything they saw, ate everything they could get their little beaks on, took a sun bath or two, and rolled around in the grass like they were trying to take dirt baths. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more - the chicks, or me and Bernie.

After about two hours, the chicks started collecting at the box they came out in. We quickly realized they were probably ready to go back inside. Look at the little chick peeking out of the hole on the side. I am certain that looks says "Hello? We're loaded up and ready to go over here!"

Photobucket

I honestly think they were tired and ready to go back to the brooder. It was pretty easy to gather them up and put them in the box.

I know everyone that has chickens thinks their chickens are the cutest things in the world. But can you honestly tell me, after looking at these pictures, that my little biddies don't just surpass every definition of cuteness??? And you just don't know sweet until you meet my girls. Lordy, if they don't just make you want to kiss the feathers right off them.....

And if you didn't get your full capacity of cuteness for the day, you can take a look at the additional pictures I put on the Back to Basic Living website.

I warned you when I ordered these chicks that I would be boring you to death with pictures of them. If nothing else, I am a woman of my word.....

Bee Free,
Penny

No comments:

Hits