Sunday, May 04, 2008

Painting the Town Red

Busy day on the homestead today. I may have mentioned that the tin roof blew mostly off on the old cabin at the front of our property a couple of months ago. Bernie got it back together as best he could, but it was leaking pretty badly during rain - and we've had plenty of rain lately. By 8:00 this morning, Bernie was on the roof of the cabin applying roof tar to the leaking seams, and I was inside the cabin, yelling out directions to each spot in the roof I could see daylight through. He got all of them.

By 10:00 this morning, I was painting the Chicken Coop DeVille, and Bernie was mowing around the cabin. When he finished that, he took down a few trees that were leaning precariously over the driveway. I guess he either took care of everything he felt he needed to care of today, or he simply took pity on me - but either way, he pitched in and helped me finish up the painting. And I didn't even have to whine. Well, not very much, anyway. Bernie has always said the only thing he hates worse than painting, is watching me paint. I tend to be a little messy. By the end of the second coat of paint, Bernie had a small microscopic dot of paint on his jeans and I looked like I had bathed in paint. It was on my face, in my hair, and basically covering every square inch of my body. I still need to paint all the trim white, but here's a picture of what it looks like right now:

Photobucket

Bernie will nail up the last two pieces of fascia this week, and then I'll paint all the trim white. After that we just need to fence in the chicken yard (that's what the roll of fencing to the right of the coop is), shred some pine for litter to put on the floor, install the nest boxes, and get the little chickens!

While we were in Lowe's to buy the last two pieces of lumber for the fascia, we saw a little peach tree that just cried out to us to come live on the homestead. We planned to get some fruit trees this fall, but this little peach tree was so darn cute, we just couldn't pass her up.

Photobucket

With every ounce of creativity and ingenuity that we possess, we decided to name her "Peachy". The fence around her is our attempt to keep the deer from reaching her branches. We'll see how that holds up.

Don't you think she looks perfectly at home here?

Photobucket

Bee Free,
Penny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.......

Hits