Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Choose Your Friends Wisely

Bernie and I have not always made wise choices, but I have to tell you that choosing Tex and Charlotte as friends was certainly the wisest thing we've ever done. I guess the truth is we didn't really "choose" them, it just happened. And we thank the heavens every day for that friendship.

If you've kept up with this blog for any time at all, you've read about Tex and Charlotte fairly often. If you've looked over the Back to Basic Living website, you've read and seen a lot about Tex there. Tex and Charlotte have always been there for us, and we've tried to always be there for them.

We didn't ask anyone to help with our move, and when it came time, it was really not surprising that Tex and Charlotte were the only people to call and ask if they could help. So they met us at our home in town with a pickup truck and a 16 foot trailer. Bernie had his pickup and a 14 foot trailer. We started packing up and moving around 8AM. I consider myself a hard worker, but I have to tell you, Tex and Charlotte liked to have worked me to death.

Anytime I wanted to take a break Charlotte would say "We don't have much time Miss Penny, we need to do what we can." I was overwhelmed with this move. Twenty years worth of hoarding crap and a 3400 square foot home stuffed full of it just left me bewildered at how in the world we would ever get all of it out of there. I wanted to ball up in a corner and cry. But those two kept us moving and before long we had the lion's share of it packed up and loaded. We started at 8AM and unloaded the last of it at 8PM. Charlotte had a room to paint at home, so she headed back a little earlier. But we cooked up a nice stew for Tex and he ate dinner with us and took some leftovers for Charlotte. He didn't get home until after 10PM.

We woke up this morning barely able to move. Even my toenails are sore. I had to log in and work all day and I was actually happy for the break. Bernie worked at getting us unpacked all day and got a good dent in it. He even served me breakfast and lunch at my computer. How romantic is that? I managed to unpack a small portion of my office this afternoon.

Little by little we're getting there. It will take a while longer, and Tex and Charlotte have volunteered for the next big load we move out. We have so many things to be thankful for. Tex and Charlotte are no small part of that. Even if they are slave drivers, they make helluva good friends.

Bee Free,
Penny

No comments:

Hits