Sunday, July 06, 2008

Rooster Adolescence and Lucy-fer

Yesterday our chicks turned exactly seven weeks old and it's been exactly one week since Duke figured out how to crow. I let the chickens out of their coop about 6:30AM and went into the house to make them some yogurt. As I was standing at the kitchen sink, I heard the distinct sound of a crow - but it was not the shrieking three syllable crow we've grown accustomed to hearing from Duke. It almost sounded like the honk of a goose in comparison - and it seemed to have an extra syllable. We listened to it several times and became convinced it could not be Duke. It sounded nothing like him. Perhaps Bobby Lee had learned to crow - or maybe we were mistaken about one of the hens?

As it turns out, Duke is going through adolescence and, quite literally, his voice changed overnight. Friday, he sounded like this. Saturday, he suddenly began sounding like this:



Don't you just love watching him gear up for his proud crow? And that crow now sounds a little more like "cock-a-doodle-do". It is music to my ears.

You may also notice that he no longer scares the other chickens with his crow. The hens actually seem quite enamoured with him now, and when he lets out his new sounding crow, several typically crowd around him.

Duke is such a handsome boy. I'm also very pleased to report that even though he is growing up and becoming quite the ladies man, he still remains a mama's boy and will sit on my lap and allow me to love on him for hours.

The chicks seem to change daily. They are feathering out and acting so grown up. Duke and the White Faced Black Spanish chicks have always been the tamest and most comfortable with me, but in the past week or so it seems that all the chicks have gotten a lot less skittish when I enter the coop or the chicken run.

Lucy is..... well, still Lucy. I now call her "Lucy-fer". She continues to challenge all the other chickens and bully them when they come to me for treats or to play. She has gotten very aggressive with her pecking and has managed to remove a mole from my leg and she attempts to remove my fingernails when I'm hand feeding the others. I lift her face up by putting a finger underneath her beak and make her look at me while I scold her, but as soon as I finish, she goes back to what she was originally doing that got her into trouble. I gently thump her chest with my hand when she gets aggressive towards me, but she seems to think that is a game. *sigh* Even though she can truly act like Lucy-fer, she can also be sweet and will always have a special place in my heart. My little runt is growing up - and she's doing it with a vengeance.

We've been busy, busy, busy on the homestead and I'll write more later in the week on that subject. I'll also get some new pictures of the chickens up on the Back to Basic Living website.

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July weekend!

Bee Free,
Penny

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Duke has finally come into his crow! (I came here to your sight after you posted about his beginners silent crow on BYC.) Our SG DOrkings are now 16 weeks and very full of themselves! In fact, I have named the alpha roo Mr Big Stuff! ;) Enjoy your blog!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Hi Farm Mom - nice to see you here! Yes, the boy is making me proud. I only have one SGD - but if they are all like him I am a big fan of the breed. He's such a sweetie.

Thanks for stopping by!

Penny

Amity said...

how neat the his voiced changed..hehe. I recently found your blg and really enjoy it..I will be stopping by again soon :-)

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Thanks for stopping by Amity. I knew his crow would evolve over time, but was quite surprised that it changed so abruptly! In the end, I'm sure he will have a lovely crow and I'm sure he'll figure out the tune of it. It's rather monotone right now - but he's got the words down! Bernie fears he may be tone deaf.....

Penny

Hits